Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Adventure Begins

Well, I've survived almost one month on this strange, new continent. Getting here was the biggest adventure of all! Short version: chased a two-year old running off a plane, bladder (not mine) emergency in Hyde Park, canceled flight, and trying to get out of the airport with 40(ish) bags and trunks. Whew! I'm getting exhausted thinking about it again. It took us 70 hours, but we made it! We are finally starting to settle in to our new home and getting used to new customs and lifestyle. 

Our first week back to school went well...at least for me it did! Of course, the kids weren't too happy to get back in the swing of things. But they made it through and worked hard. 

Christmas in the summer...
The most interesting part of my adventure so far was having Christmas in the summer. Wow. What a shock! Definitely a change from the US. But it sure is fun to tell people that I got to swim on Christmas day! 
I've experienced my first african Christmas, birthday, and New Years all in one week!

Seriously...how many people get to pet a lion on their birthday?! 

Excited to see what other adventures are in store for this season of my life!

A Christmas surprise from home

 Christmas pool party!
 Blessed to Skype with my family Christmas morning!
 Birthday safari
 My favorite animal!
 Geoff the Giraffe... (I named him)
 John the lion...according to our guide, he is a very rude lion :)
 Petting lion cubs...what a cool experience!
 The beautiful white lion
 Jack the lion actor...also known as Aslan from the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.
Happy New Year from South Africa!!

1 comment:

  1. All i can muster is.WOW! What an incredible experience, can hardly wait to read more! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete